BCommunity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Web Editors for Windows

Go down

Free Web Editors for Windows Empty Free Web Editors for Windows

Post  jamesfleming47 Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:54 pm

1. Aptana IDE
Aptana IDE is an interesting take on Web page development. Instead of focusing on the HTML, Aptana focuses on the JavaScript and other elements that allow you to create Rich Internet Applications. One of the things I really like is the outline view that makes it really easy to visualize the DOM. This makes for easier CSS and JavaScript development.

2. HTML-Kit
HTML-Kit is a free Web editor with a lot of features. It's one of the more popular ones available for Windows. It has tag completion and HTML and CSS validation and a lot of features you wouldn't expect in free software. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't default to XHTML, you have to convert your documents to that. It has a lot of XML and XHTML support, it just doesn't default to them.

3. KompoZer
KompoZer is a great WYSIWYG editor. It is based on the popular Nvu editor - only it is called the "unofficial bug-fix release." KompoZer was conceived by some people who really liked Nvu, but were fed up with the slow release schedules and poor support. So they took it over and released a less buggy version of the software.

4. Nvu
Nvu is a great WYSIWYG editor. I prefer text editors to WYSIWYG editors, but if you don't, then Nvu is a great choice, especially considering that it's free. I love that it has a site manager to allow you to review the sites that you're building. It's surprising that this software is free. Feature highlights: XML support, advanced CSS support, full site management, built-in validator, and international support as well as WYSIWYG and color coded XHTML editing.

5. Amaya
Amaya is a bit hard to use, but it's endorsed by the W3C, so you know that pages you build in it will be standards-based. It offers features like CSS editing and will edit XML really well. Feature highlights: XML support, scripting support, advanced CSS support, built-in validator, and international support as well as WYSIWYG and color coded XHTML editing.

6. CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor
The CoffeeCup Free HTML editor is a text editor with a lot of potential. A lot of the features it has in the menus are reliant on other CoffeeCup products to use - such as FTP, the photo gallery maker, CSS editing, and so on. This is still a powerful HTML editor, but I would recommend you purchase the full version of the editor to get the real juice from this product. One important thing to note: many sites list this editor as a free WYSIWYG editor, but when I tested, you had to buy the full version to get WYSIWYG support. The free version is a very nice text editor only.

7. Selida
Selida is a very nice WYSIWYG Web page editor for Windows. It offers a lot of features that make it easy to edit Web pages and is free.

8. SeaMonkey
SeaMonkey is the Mozilla project all-in-one Internet application suite. It includes a Web browser, email and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and composer - the Web page editor. One of the nice things about using SeaMonkey is that you have the browser built-in already so testing is a breeze. Plus it's a free WYSIWYG editor with an embedded FTP to publish your Web pages.

9. PSPad
PSPad is a programming editor for Windows. It offers a lot of features applicable to Web editors such as HTML syntax highlighting, integration with TopStyle Lite for CSS editing and a built-in FTP client to manage files online.

10. Arachnophilia
Arachnophilia is not free - it's "careware", but just because you don't have to pay cash for it doesn't mean it's not a good product. In fact, it's a great text HTML editor with a lot of functionality. The color coding makes it easy to use. It may or may not work on Mac and Unix. Feature highlights: Color coded XHTML editing.

11. Evrsoft First Page
Evrsoft First Page is a free HTML editor for Windows. It is a high quality text editor, with an inline viewer to see what your pages will look like in Internet Explorer. It is advertised as completely free, but to get rid of the nag screen and get full access to all the features, you need to purchase the Pro version. The pro version includes the design view WYSIWYG editor, that is greyed out in the free version.

12. NetBeans IDE
NetBeans IDE is a Java IDE that can help you build robust Web applications. Like most IDEs it has a steep learning curve because they don't often work in the same way that Web editors do. But once you get used to it you'll be hooked.

13. Notepad++
Notepad++ is a Notepad replacement editor that adds a lot of features to your standard text editor. Like most text editors, this is not specifically a Web editor, but can be used to edit and maintain HTML. I use this product a lot for managing my XML files, because with the XML plugin, it can check for XML errors quickly.

14. AceHTML Freeware
AceHTML Freeware is a slimmed down version of AceHTML Pro. It offers a lot of great features for building and maintaining Web pages. It doesn't have tag completion turned on by default, which I find annoying. But it does default to an XHTML Web page rather than plain HTML. It detects what browsers you have installed and puts them in the browser testing window for you, which is nice, but as usual defaults to IE for preview in the tool. It also has a code evaluator that checks for errors and tells you the weight of the page.

15. Dynamic HTML Editor Free
The free version of Dynamic HTML Editor is a few revisions back from the paid version and it's only free for non-profits and personal use. But if that is you, and you don't want to learn more than file transfers for getting your Web pages to your host, then this program would work fine.

16. Trellian WebPage
Trellian WebPage is one of the few free Web editors that offers both WYSIWYG functionality and image editing within the software. It also allows you to use Photoshop plugins to customize it even more.

jamesfleming47

Back to top Go down